That’s right, it’s the return of the Friday 5! I’m knocking the dust off of my blogging habits, and this is as good a reason as any. Don’t forget to play along on your own blog/site and let me know if you do. As always, you can get each week’s set of questions over at Friday5.org.
1. On May First, 1738, King Kamehameha I was born. What are your impressions of Hawaii?
This question is funny for a number of reasons—the primary one being that Jack and I have been arguing about moving to Hawaii. He’s pro Hawaii and living on an island, I’m all for living on an island without massive volcanoes. Call me crazy, but with my luck one of those “sleeping” volcanoes would decide to wake up right under us! But I can’t argue the fact that it’s beautiful there, which, in itself, is a good reason to move there. I just don’t like that it’s so far away and that everything is so much more expensive there. I’m trying to convince him that the Virgin Islands are a better choice. So they have hurricanes… minor detail.
2. On May First, 1873, Dr. David Livingstone died. When did you last presume something erroneous about someone or something?
Hmm. Well, I try to not presume, but we all do it. That’s what stereotypes are—assumptions about individuals without having all the facts. I’ve come to learn that more often than not, those assumptions are wrong. I have also learned that instinct is not to be ignored or denied, and that if you (well, I) have an inkling about someone/something, it usually ends up being right. This doesn’t work when people change their patterned behavior, though. My parents are a perfect example of this.
3. On May First, 1876, Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro debuted. How do you feel about Disney’s animated classic Pinocchio?
I’m not really a fan. Okay, not at all a fan. Growing up I wanted princess stories, not stories about little wooden boys who wanted to be real. Maybe I should give it another shot.
4. May First is Walpurgis Night in Sweden and other parts of northern Europe. When did you last sing in front of an audience?
Uhm… I do believe that the last time you would have caught me singing in public in front of an audience was in graduate school at a local bar. My entourage went out for a karaoke night, and only after a considerable amount of prodding and Malibu & Cokes did I get up and sing Reba McEntire’s “Fancy.” I still have nightmares about it.
5. Me First and the Gimme Gimmes are a punk rock cover band. What song’s cover version do you like better than its original version?
Well, pretty much anything that Michael Buble covers I love. I love his covers of “Save the Last Dance for Me” and “Feelin’ Good.”
Oh, and Happy May! Spring is finally here and though my allergies disagree, I can’t wait…
Tags: Friday 5